Nuestra Graduación, Stanford’s Chicanx/Latinx commencement, is an annual event held in conjunction with Stanford University’s Commencement intended to celebrate the achievements of Latinx undergraduate and graduate student degree recipients.
In accordance with Stanford’s plans for commencement, Nuestra Graduación will be hosted as a virtual celebration during the weekend of June 12-13, 2021. Our students and staff are working hard to develop a wonderful virtual experience for our comunidad, and we welcome your input. With assurance from Stanford’s Office of the President, we remain hopeful that we will be able to celebrate the Classes of 2020 and 2021 when conditions allow us to do this in person.
For Nuestra Graduación 2021, we’ve decided not to collect a registration fee. All registered graduates will be eligible to receive the customary Nuestra Grad stoles free of charge.
El Centro recognizes the momentous accomplishment that commencement represents, especially for so many within our Latinx communities. This is why we have decided to use our gift funds to purchase stoles for graduates who must celebrate with a virtual ceremony, as we did last year. We truly look forward to celebrating this important milestone in your Stanford career in a safe and virtual setting with your family and friends.
We are thrilled to resume awarding the following distinctions during this year's Nuestra Graduación:
- Cecilia and Tony Burciaga Community Development Award
- Jerry I. Porras Chicano/Latino Community Scholar Prize for Academic Excellence
Save the Date for 2021:
- TBA: Saturday, June 12, 2021 or Sunday, June 13, 2021.
Register for Nuestra Graduación:
If you are interested in participating in this year’s virtual Nuestra Graduacion, please complete the registration form in its entirety to ensure we have all the necessary information to properly recognize your accomplishment.
To guarantee graduate information will be displayed on the commencement program AND that your stole is delivered by commencement weekend, the registration form is DUE by 5:00PM (Pacific Daylight Time) Friday, April 16, 2021.
Personal & Academic Information including Name and Degree.
(1) A 150 word (max) biography to include with your name and major information. The Bio is an opportunity for you to thank family, friends, or community members as well as share a message with all the participants and guests of Nuestra Grad. The team at El Centro does our best to preserve the message of each bio but may edit or omit any portion of the bio if inappropriate or harmful content is found. In this case we may reach out to the graduate to request they edit or resubmit their bio.
(2) A photo of you (the Graduate) to be included with your bio in the program. We welcome you to be creative with this image as it will be a highlight of your accomplishment for you and your loved ones. El Centro may request a substitute image if the submitted one if found to be inappropriate or have too poor a resolution. Photos should be formatted as a JPEG, PNG, or PDF.
(3) A mailing address where we can send your graduation stole. We do our best to ensure graduates receive their stoles by or before the Commencement weekend however, there may be delays with international addresses or those outside the continental U.S.
Commencement vs Graduation:
Nuestra Grad is a commencement celebration and does not confer or issue degrees. You MUST apply to graduate through Axess by submitting your application. GRADUATE & COTERM STUDENTS, please check with your department(s) on the process and due dates. UNDERGRADUATES, note the due dates to file for graduation;
5:00PM (Pacific Daylight Time) Friday, April 9th 2021.
Late Deadline w/ $50 fee - 5:00PM (Pacific Daylight Time) Friday, May 28th
For more information on Graduation click here.